Silver's first adventure into DIY

Time to start tasting the first juice.

Decided to go with Mustard Milk since it was my first one.
This has TFA Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Simple 2 ingredient mix.

It's 6 days after mixing.

Mmmmm... it smells lovely.

b1bc5ab3fee226c3f8753830e5313ad0.jpg

Petri ready. Freshly wicked. CB2. Wicks primed. Ooooohhh this always makes me so excited.
Momentous for me because it's my first tasting of a DIY juice that I made.

22d500515ecd9196ea84c7772b3d10ac.jpg

And? What's the verdict?

I don't like it at all!!!!

The Strawberry is too sour. And a bit synthetic tasting. Can hardly taste any cream or ice cream.
It's quite unpleasant actually.

Well, that's the day 6 tasting. Have no idea how long this needs to steep but I don't like what I am tasting now. Quite disappointed because I thought this was at least a nice juice and would be ok after 6 days.

Ah well. One juice down.

Will probably try this again in about another week.

On the positive side I have learnt something. My label on my bottle has already smudged so I will probably need another plan for that.

@Silver Tip: Put clear masking tape over the label to prevent the writing from getting smudged

@Silver As you said in another post, you love to tell a story with pictures and you've certainly done that here! It's interesting, informative and entertaining. I've never DIY but it's been absolutely fascinating reading about the journey from one who also has not done it before. Thanks soooo much for sharing this with us!

@Silver As you said in another post, you love to tell a story with pictures and you've certainly done that here! It's interesting, informative and entertaining. I've never DIY but it's been absolutely fascinating reading about the journey from one who also has not done it before. Thanks soooo much for sharing this with us!

Only a pleasure @Hooked
I wanted to do DIY for a long time...

Am going to enjoy it and see how it goes

If my documenting of my procedures and findings helps others to give it a try, then I am happy for that.

I love getting the feedback from the more experienced DIYers here because it keeps me motivated. Especially after my first tasting of my first juice - which I did not like :confused:

@Paul33 lol that's what I do for food recipes. Maybe I'll try my hand at DIY ... one day ...
When you do decide to give it a go you’re in the right place. I’m by no means an expert but it’s fun and my mixes go down well with mates and I must say I’m proud to have helped a few members here. It’s fun to make your own and always an interesting hobby!!

Hey @Silver , welcome to the wonderful world of DIY :)
Question: have you ever considered using syringes rather than the scale? They're cheap as chips from Diskem and make it much easier to mix more accurately in smaller (say 10ml) batches where you sometimes need 0.1ml of a concentrate.
On something you said earlier about the Mustard milk: if it doesn't taste good straight away, usually steeping won't help much. If it tastes good straight away then after steeping for a while it is either going to get better or worse, but bad is bad.... "You can't polish a turd"!
From a personal point of view, I like to use E Juice Me Up for my calculations. It's free and easy to use.
Shaking your mix every day doesn't really help the steeping process. If you're going to leave it for 2 weeks to steep then only shake it every 4 days to a week, no more than that is needed.
Baked goods, creams and custards need a lot more steep time than fruit flavours. A good baked recipe usually turns into a great recipe after 2 weeks of steep, whereas fruit makes a much better SNV....
Good luck with your new adventure, I hope you find something that you enjoy soon :)

Any news on the bruised berries as yet kind sir?

Lol, not yet @Paul33

After my dismal first tasting of mustard milk I am just recovering

I want to let them steep for weeks amd weeks now. Haha
I actually looked at them today in the cupboard and had a smell of each again.
Some of the tobaccoes dont smell like anything and the others seem ok on the nose.

Bruised Berry Ice is special. i want it to taste nice because @rogue zombie posted it. Am too scared to try it in case its also terrible. I will probably give it another day or two. On day 9 today. Not sure if it needs more time.

I should actually be mixing one or two more recipes now so i have something to try when im done with these.

Lol, not yet @Paul33

Some of the tobaccoes dont smell like anything and the others seem ok on the nose.

Bruised Berry Ice is special. i want it to taste nice because @rogue zombie posted it. Am too scared to try it in case its also terrible. I will probably give it another day or two. On day 9 today. Not sure if it needs more time.

I should actually be mixing one or two more recipes now so i have something to try when im done with these.
@Silver, your self control is exemplary!

@Silver, your self control is exemplary!

Haha @Raindance
Just been busy the last two days and my Petri needs to be properly fumigated from the attack of the mustard milk. And ive been lazy.

What i really do need is like 3 or 4 outstanding flavour RDAs all set up with the same coil so i can test these juices! i like @RichJB 's approach of having a low range, mid range amd treble flavour renderers in his arsenal. @RichJB, i wonder where the Petri V2 rda would sit in your "sound analogy"? I presume mid-range?

Lol, not yet @Paul33

Lol

Some people don't like the Extreme Ice, so I would not be offended at all if you don't like it :)

Time to start tasting the first juice.

Decided to go with Mustard Milk since it was my first one.
This has TFA Strawberry and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Simple 2 ingredient mix.

It's 6 days after mixing.

Mmmmm... it smells lovely.

b1bc5ab3fee226c3f8753830e5313ad0.jpg

Petri ready. Freshly wicked. CB2. Wicks primed. Ooooohhh this always makes me so excited.
Momentous for me because it's my first tasting of a DIY juice that I made.

22d500515ecd9196ea84c7772b3d10ac.jpg

And? What's the verdict?

I don't like it at all!!!!

The Strawberry is too sour. And a bit synthetic tasting. Can hardly taste any cream or ice cream.
It's quite unpleasant actually.

Well, that's the day 6 tasting. Have no idea how long this needs to steep but I don't like what I am tasting now. Quite disappointed because I thought this was at least a nice juice and would be ok after 6 days.

Ah well. One juice down.

Will probably try this again in about another week.

On the positive side I have learnt something. My label on my bottle has already smudged so I will probably need another plan for that.

I hated that stuff, gave it to a mate n he loved it.
Found a bottle hidden in the back of my cupboard, was about 9months old, tasted pretty good but still not something I’d mix again.

You should make obsidian and funfetti one shots.

I hated that stuff, gave it to a mate n he loved it.
Found a bottle hidden in the back of my cupboard, was about 9months old, tasted pretty good but still not something I’d mix again.

You should make obsidian and funfetti one shots.

Thanks @Strontium
I am not sure how some could like it. My mustard milk tasted quite sour and chemically to me. Was even below being vapeable if you know what i mean. Maybe thats why its called mustard milk?

I actually thought either my concentrates were suspect (got them a while back admittedly) or this recipe is a prank to make new DIYers cringe. Lol

Will let it steep some more just to check and make sure.

Will get to Obsidian and Funfetti in time, thanks for the tip

Thanks @Strontium
I am not sure how some could like it. My mustard milk tasted quite sour and chemically to me. Was even below being vapeable if you know what i mean. Maybe thats why its called mustard milk?

I actually thought either my concentrates were suspect (got them a while back admittedly) or this recipe is a prank to make new DIYers cringe. Lol

Will let it steep some more just to check and make sure.

Will get to Obsidian and Funfetti in time, thanks for the tip

Yep, that’s what got from it too. I actually contacted the Concentrate vendor n moaned that they’d sold me duff flavours

Its the vbic in it that didn’t work for me. Now that my tastebuds have gotten used to vbic, it’s one of my favorite concentrates.

Lol, not yet @Paul33

I hear you. I made some mustard milk a few years back and it was HORRENDOUS and just never got better!

Lol

Some people don't like the Extreme Ice, so I would not be offended at all if you don't like it :)
It’s all sitting in blck cart waiting just intrigued to hear how @Silver finds it.

It’s one of those recipes that I have not ONE concentrate for...

It’s all sitting in blck cart waiting just intrigued to hear how @Silver finds it.

It’s one of those recipes that I have not ONE concentrate for...

Lol @Paul33
Now you putting the pressure on me. Haha
Ok i will try expedite the tasting for you

Lol @Paul33
Now you putting the pressure on me. Haha
Ok i will try expedite the tasting for you
Hahaha @Silver. No pressure intended.

I have so many “missing” concentrates for recipes I want to make so its al good.

My Blck cart changes and gets things put in and taken out on a daily basis until I’m happy then mates will want juice and then it all changes again.

Yep, that’s what got from it too. I actually contacted the Concentrate vendor n moaned that they’d sold me duff flavours

Its the vbic in it that didn’t work for me. Now that my tastebuds have gotten used to vbic, it’s one of my favorite concentrates.
I loooooove VBIC. I use so much of it in almost everything.

It does magic things to Ry4 by the way...

Care to share some more details on this? Sounds interesting!

Regards
But of course.

Very simple recipe that I played with for a while to get right.

TFA Ry4 double 5%
TFA VBIC 2%

Steep for a month and it’s fantastic.

@vicTor made Some recently at max VG cause he was battling with PG and I think if I’m right he made a few 100ml batches after testing so it can’t be too bad :clap:

But of course.

Very simple recipe that I played with for a while to get right.

TFA Ry4 double 5%
TFA VBIC 2%

Steep for a month and it’s fantastic.

@vicTor made Some recently at max VG cause he was battling with PG and I think if I’m right he made a few 100ml batches after testing so it can’t be too bad :clap:

yes that's correct, I love this recipe, didn't even wait for it to steep properly, can't wait for blck vapour to open tomorrow to drop an order for more concentrates !

...lol

Back