Update to the SAPO strike (Important Warning)

@VandaL awesome thx bru! The first two packages is quite a wack of moola so I just hope they are somewhere :mad:

I have five parcels incoming, about two weeks ago all five were scanned in at JIMC and all five went "to customs" and "from customs" with two of them being "held by customs" for a few days. I haven't called or emailed anyone, thankfully the parcels are all moving on their own. All are now "in transit" and two of them are 100kms from me already :)

Hopefully this is going to be the end of a very very long wait.

Well , both my shipments showns 'Held by customs' at JIMC , does this mean a long trek to Jhb Int ?
As for my OTHER two parcels that arrived in SA beginning Sept 2014 , nothing nadda zip not even local tracking number
These are both FT packets with no liquid or batteries or any of that sort ....

I have tried emailing 'Elvis' and Mary , no response , tried calling as well was on hold for 20 minutes only to be cut off .... last week guess I'll try again on Monday sheesh ...I am at my wits end here ..
Best bet is to get an email address as that often implies they are waiting for an invoice. Mail it to them.

Yay! I collected 2 of my parcels today, the other three should be at my local PO before the end of the week, I'll finally have a 50W device!

Yay! I collected 2 of my parcels today, the other three should be at my local PO before the end of the week, I'll finally have a 50W device!
So far these two cost me R46.10 each in Vat and Clearance fees and took 62 days to arrive from FT. Can't wait for my Hana to get here :D

Post Office expects R1.3bn loss, may shut shop
2 February 2015 9:19

The South African Post Office expects to report a loss of R1.3 billion by the end of its financial year in March.

For this and other reasons auditors expressed doubts, in the company’s 2014-2015 annual report, that it will still be a going concern by the end of the current financial year, Beeld reported today.

The report was handed in to Parliament last week, four months late.

Fruitless and wasteful expenditure amounted to R41 million, and unauthorised expenditure R213.6 million. It lost R5.3 million to fraud relating to the institution’s treasury, and R5.5 million to “commercial crime”.

In the previous financial year it reported a loss of more than R358 million.

On the positive side the Post Office is still solvent, with its total assets at March 31 last year exceeding its liabilities by more than R2.3 billion.

- Sapa

FWIW.

I recently contacted Fasttech re using a courier for delivery as I am interested in some items for work and using the PO won't do it. They can and will do DHL but had difficulty in activating it on the shipping options. Their suggestion is pay, put on hold, ask for them to quote and process manually. Been toying around with posting this info in a dedicated thread.

At least this way you get your stuff more reliably. I haven't used the service yet as I am nervous, it is work after all but many of their electronics components look usable for my purposes.

Local date/time Activity Location Remarks
1/6/2015 9:08 PM Posting/Collection 510010
1/7/2015 11:44 AM Departure from outward office of exchange GUANGZHOU
1/28/2015 8:06 PM Arrival at inward office of exchange JIMC A
2/4/2015 9:51 AM Arrival at inward office of exchange CAPETOWN A
2/4/2015 9:55 AM Held by customs CAPETOWN A
2/4/2015 9:57 AM Held by customs CAPETOWN A

This is my 1st time importing something, is this a good or bad thing?
I've highlighted the part in question.

Thanx in advance

Local date/time Activity Location Remarks
1/6/2015 9:08 PM Posting/Collection 510010
1/7/2015 11:44 AM Departure from outward office of exchange GUANGZHOU
1/28/2015 8:06 PM Arrival at inward office of exchange JIMC A
2/4/2015 9:51 AM Arrival at inward office of exchange CAPETOWN A
2/4/2015 9:55 AM Held by customs CAPETOWN A
2/4/2015 9:57 AM Held by customs CAPETOWN A

This is my 1st time importing something, is this a good or bad thing?
I've highlighted the part in question.

Thanx in advance
A few of mine did that too, they moved again after a few days. When they arrived I paid zero duties, just a handling fee and vat. Patience might just save you a few bucks ;)

A few of mine did that too, they moved again after a few days. When they arrived I paid zero duties, just a handling fee and vat. Patience might just save you a few bucks ;)

I appreciate the reply bro, i was abit worried for a moment lol
Im hoping for zero duties as well...
I was under the impression that they're going to detain it and I'm going to have to provide proof of purchase etc.

Thanx for the heads up @BumbleBee

Currently has status of: Return item from customs Signed For By: JIMC C AIR
TYPE DATE LOCATION
Return item from customs 2015/02/03 12:44:50 JIMC C AIR
Send item to customs 2015/01/22 19:02:10 JIMC C AIR
Receive item at office of exchange 2015/01/15 19:20:29 JIMC A AIR LETTERS/ TRANSFERS
In transit 2015/02/04 11:53 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)
From Customs 2015/02/03 12:44 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)
To Customs 2015/01/22 07:02 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)
Incomming International 2015/01/15 07:20 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)

Who is JMC C AIR

PO is back to normal. (Durban.) (Aside from the backlog. Evidently, new incoming is not added to the backlog.)
My "candle-making supplies" from USA took 3 weeks, 21 days, including 2 days for local PO to deliver the collection slip to me.
And I got the poly felt filter material that I ordered 3-4 weeks ago.

yes, that is backlog. I was right, the story that they would clear the backlog in 3-4 weeks was bull. Even 3 months would be optimistic.

So does that mean the things that were shipped to SAPO after the strike would be affected as well??

Oh sometimes wish I was a vaper in a first world country. In the UK they pay 2.50 GBP extra for postage, called an ePacket and takes 6 - 7 days from Fasttech to in their hands!

My goods shipped mid December onwards are coming through slowly, but still taking 45 - 60 days.

Both my packages are in SA after ordering it a month ago, one is in JIM C and the other is being held by customs in CPT for about 2 weeks now. Should i be worried lol?

Super helpful bro.... shot will give a call later to see if i can get it... but wont they tax me messed up once they see the invoice??

If they dont know the values, they cant tax you at all, and hence will not release the package.
Thus the need for an invoice...

If they dont know the values, they cant tax you at all, and hence will not release the package.
Thus the need for an invoice...
Ahh i see, I'm a noob when it comes to importing so excuse the silly questions guys.:doh::doh:

Back