Dee I WHY ? with MrDeedz

Can you post up a list of flavorings you have?
Here u go :

Flavor
Almond (FA)
Apricot (FA)
Bavarian Cream (TPA)
Black Honey (TPA)
Blue Raspberry Cotton Candy (Cap)
Blueberry Extra (TPA)
Bourbon (Vanilla Bourbon) (FA)
Brown Sugar (TPA)
Butter Pecan (FW)
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA)
Cinnamon Danish Swirl (Cap)
Cinnamon Danish Swirl v2 (Cap)
Cream Fresh (FA)
Creme Brulee (Inawera)
Custard (Inawera)
Dairy Milk (TPA)
Dragonfruit (TPA)
DX Banana Cream (TPA)
DX Bavarian Cream (TPA)
DX French Vanilla (TPA)
DX Sweet Cream (TPA)
DX Vanilla Custard (TPA)
Extreme Ice (FW)
Fuji Apple (FA)
Hazel Grove (Hazelnut) (FA)
Holy Vanilla (DIYFS)
Joy (FA)
Kiwi (FA)
Koolada (TPA)
Lemon Sicily (FA)
Mango Shisha (Inawera)
Rich Cinnamon (Flavorah)
RY4 Double (TPA)
Super Sweet (Cap)
Vanilla Custard v2 (Cap)
Vanilla Swirl (TPA)
Waffle (Belgian) (TPA)
Watermelon (TPA)

I don't know of any recipes which you could make. While you're waiting to increase your stash, you could experiment with stone + top note combinations. Rudi has an Inw Custard + Creme Brulee stone, you could try that with top notes like blueberry or apple. 2% Bav 2% Swirl will give you a milk/cream stone to which you could also add fruity top notes. Add 3% Cheesecake GC to thicken the base and move it in a slightly different direction.

You appear to like bakeries at least some of the time, judging by your inclusion of Cinnamon Danish Swirl, Cheesecake, Joy and Belgian Waffle. I think the biggest hole in your stash currently is the lack of cookie/biscuit flavours. Inw/JF Biscuit, Cap Sugar Cookie, FA Cookie, Graham Cracker Clear are staples which are used in a bunch of profiles, not just biscuit or cookie vapes. Ditto with FA/TFA Meringue. At least two of the cookie/biscuit flavours and meringue would be in my next cart. It will greatly increase the range of recipes you can make.

Similarly, you only have one fruit of each type. That is fine when starting out, rather have one each of five different fruits than five different apples. But few recipes use only one fruit. Almost all strawberry, blueberry, mango, orange, melon and other juices will use two (or more) of the same type of fruit to create a rounded profile. Even esoteric fruits like Lychee and Kiwi are usually mixed, like adding TFA Kiwi Double to FA Kiwi to create a full and balanced kiwi flavour, or adding FA Lychee to Cap Sweet Lychee. There's nothing you can do about that initially. But what I'd do is to start doubling up on favoured fruit profiles, rather than just adding more single fruits that I don't have. I think adding FW Blueberry or FA Bilberry to your Blueberry Extra will get you further than adding another standalone fruit like an orange or guava or whatever. Although you will also need those at some point. The struggle continues.

How are you finding the DX flavours? I would have avoided those unless you are absolutely adamant about not vaping DAAP. I see you got both DX and standard Bav Cream, for example. You will find thirty four thousand and eleventy eight recipes for standard Bav, about three for DX Bav. So I think Meringue or Cap Sugar Cookie or whatever would give you waaaaay more bang for buck than any DX flavour. But not to worry, we all start out with flavours which, in hindsight, weren't the best choice. :p

@RichJB you are legend,INFORMATION OVERLOAD, In regard to the DX concentrates, I inherited those from a friend and haven't used them before.
Please advise on the below abbreviations LOL :
DAAP
DX

DAAP = Diacetyl, Acetoin, Acetyl Propionyl, the diketones that are deemed hazardous to inhale
DX = the TFA alternatives which contain no DAAP

So TFA Bav contains Acetoin, DX Bav does not. It's a taste v health issue. Almost everybody vastly prefers the taste of plain Bav. Whether the health risk is enough to make you switch to DX is something only you can decide.

So tomorrow my kiwana custard , cinnamon blueberry waffle and holy nilla custard will be steeped for 14 days. How would i know if they ready or need to be steeped more? What do you look for when doing a taste tester?

You mixed Rich Cinnamon at 0.75%? :eek: OK, I will start the PowerPoint presentation with a few introductory slides illustrating the natural beauty of Gauteng. But I will then hand the laser pointer to my colleague Rudi, who will talk us through some of the finer engineering points about Flv Rich Cinnamon, and how he spilled a bottle of it into Hartebeespoort Dam one night and awoke the next morning to find all the water hyacinth gone.

Seriously, though, one or two drops per 30ml is usually more than enough. But 0.75% can work too. Hopefully. ;)
After 2 weeks of steeping i gotta admit that even though i only mixed a 30 mls of my own recipe.custard all i can smell when bottles are sealed is the cinnamon in bottle lol eish

What I look for is a smooth and blended vape. If the flavour is a little harsh or the different parts of the profile don't feel like they are melding well together, it's often a steeping issue. The best way I can describe it is like freshly melted fruit salad and ice cream. You will get a strong taste of fruit, then some ice cream, then a different piece of fruit, and so on. But it doesn't really hang together. When it's been melted for a while, it homogenizes into a smooth and stable flavour. That is what well steeped juice tastes like to me.

It sounds like lack of flavour separation (the blenderising effects of Smooth or MTS Vape Wizard) but it's not. You can still taste the different accents and aspects of the flavour but it has now formed a whole rather than being disjointed bits. For want of a better phrase, the top note 'sits down' in the base and it gels as a whole flavour.

Sometimes it takes a surprisingly long time. I made Wayne's cream base and decided to pair it with FA Raspberry instead of the strawberry mix that Wayne favours. I tried it after three months and it was meh, an OK berry cream but the raspberry element felt a bit dry and like it wasn't connecting with the cream. Thinking I wouldn't mix it again, I put it among the numerous bottles on my desk and forgot about it. About five weeks later (total steep well over four months), I dripped it again on impulse and boom! Paydirt! The raspberry had settled into the cream and it had become a delicious whole raspberry cream, not a disjointed cream with a slightly harsh and dry raspberry tacked onto it. It's really hard to describe but you'll know when it's right.

Last edited:
damn so 2 weeks is really not that much time for steeping custards. maybe i Should leave it for a little more. so impatient, curious and eager to taste but dont want to be disappointed when it could be a steeping issue. thanks

Using my thread to store all my Recipes that I will be making just in case they get lost or hardware failures.

PYCHEE

PYCHEE.JPG

Blueberry Jam on Toast

Blueberry Jam on Toast.JPG

St. Louie Butter Cake

St. Louie Butter Cake.JPG

OK, my 10c having mixed 2 of these...

Kiwana U Wana Custard - this is a phenomenal recipe and I make it regularly. It made my top 3 for my Best diy recipe of 2017
Cinapple Fritter - A good remix of Wayne's original - solid recipe but a bit over flavoured for my liking (more commercial like)
Cinnamon Blueberry Waffle - STAY AWAY from this one. This, by just reading the ingredients, will taste horendous. Belgian Waffle at 8% is insane - the average usage for this on ATF is 2.8% and even then, it is potent. This gives a "burnt" taste over 6% and usually has a chemical taste for the first 2-3 weeks.

I would recommend using the Waffle base from Folkart in this recipe (waffle at 1%) and adapt using the Blueberry trinity =
1% FA Bilberry
2% FW Blueberry
3% TPA Blueberry (extra)

As a side note - try and stay clear from ELR recipes - they are generally untested, over flavoured and mostly crap...

Good luck!!!
So after a 14 day steep I sampled :
Kiwana U Wana Custard : A bit disappointed as this was the one i was looking forward to from the 3 i made on the day. All i get is a suttle Vanilla custard with a hint of some fruit. I followed this recipe to the "T". so not sure what to, will steep it for another 2 weeks, Your thoughts @Rude Rudi ?
Cinnamon Blueberry Waffle : i wont lie all i can say is eish u were right, After 14 day steep The Blue berry is subtle but i do get a strong cake mixed with RY4 after taste which stays on your tongue.

So after a 14 day steep I sampled :
Kiwana U Wana Custard : A bit disappointed as this was the one i was looking forward to from the 3 i made on the day. All i get is a suttle Vanilla custard with a hint of some fruit. I followed this recipe to the "T". so not sure what to, will steep it for another 2 weeks, Your thoughts @Rude Rudi ?
Cinnamon Blueberry Waffle : i
wont lie all i can say is eish u were right, After 14 day steep The Blue berry is subtle but i do get a strong cake mixed with RY4 after taste which stays on your tongue.

Taste is subjective...I love the Kiwana and get a strong blend of kiwi and banana which is a very weird combo, but works very well here. What PG/VG ratio did you use? 70/30 works well for RDA's while 60/40 will be better for RTA's, etc.

Gonna mix these 3 this weekend.
Let me know if you gurus see something weird that I dont in the recipes/%'s.

Sweet Cuba

Sweet Cuba.JPG

Sweet nutty cream

Sweet nutty cream.JPG

and for my mates @ work will make a bacci
Smokin' Banana

Smokin' Banana.JPG

I have not used the DX version of TFA Sweet Cream but 4% may be a bit on the heavy side and you may get some cheese like off notes.

I'd drop it to somewhere in the 1-2% range if it is anything like the non-DX version.

Ok.thanks these were all recipes from elr that were highly rated. By who i dont know but yeah. Will use elr till payday.wil buy concentrates and start using alltheflavours and diyordie

You doing great @MrDeedz
Am enjoying following your diy adventure - and the q&a along the way!

Thanks @Silver . And a special thanks to our legend forum members whom always take the time out to assist, guide and comment cos i tend to be a keyboard ninja with no filter at times lol

Taste is subjective...I love the Kiwana and get a strong blend of kiwi and banana which is a very weird combo, but works very well here. What PG/VG ratio did you use? 70/30 works well for RDA's while 60/40 will be better for RTA's, etc.
@Rude Rudi so today i mixed the 3 juices i posted. I had 2mls of kiwana left in a unicorn which i took out to sample the other day and damn i vaped that 2 mlss and theres def a something cookin there bud. Its 20 days now and the custard kiwi n apple starting to blend smoothly yum

Hey guys, I just had a crazy thought. If anyone is willing to sell me 10ML DIY juice samples of there personally favorites, Provided it comes with the recipe that would be quite awesome and appreciated, Im a straight shooter and lets just say that over the past 2 years I have been to DIY meetups and made buddies who and DIY and honestly I havent found any DIY juices that were actually mind blowing, Im a fussy crazy juice junkie, Hence I work just to buy Vape juice lol

Hey guys, I just had a crazy thought. If anyone is willing to sell me 10ML DIY juice samples of there personally favorites, Provided it comes with the recipe that would be quite awesome and appreciated, Im a straight shooter and lets just say that over the past 2 years I have been to DIY meetups and made buddies who and DIY and honestly I havent found any DIY juices that were actually mind blowing, Im a fussy crazy juice junkie, Hence I work just to buy Vape juice lol

I was thinking exactly the same but why not make it a swap and taste thing?

Back