Dee I WHY ? with MrDeedz

Hi, I took a quick read didnt see if anyone said this but the way I mix is pg based liquids first. I give that a swirl then add the nic ( I use pg based nic now so it all gets mixed at once now) give it another swirl or shake depending on the beaker or bottle I am using. The last thing to go in is the VG and I shake again before steeping for 2 weeks at a minimum. Larger batches get steeped for longer and shaked once a week.

Does anyone know whats the profiles on the below concentrates as I'm dumb founded here, REDDIT doesn't explain clearly :

Joy (FA) : Some say this is apple :O? hmmm. google says vanilla but that doesn't help much to me. Is JOY more like a cake kinda vibe?
Dairy Milk (TPA/TFA) : Is this a milk or chocolate dairy milk

Does anyone know whats the profiles on the below concentrates as I'm dumb founded here, REDDIT doesn't explain clearly :

Joy (FA) : Some say this is apple :O? hmmm. google says vanilla but that doesn't help much to me. Is JOY more like a cake kinda vibe?

Joy - A biscuit flavour fresh from the baker's oven with Meringue and Caramel to tease your taste buds. Close your eyes & imagine the Fairground. That's JOY (FROM BLCK.co.za) I agree on this one
- MILK: A gentle milk flavour, use to blend and not alone.

I always do a search on BLCK website 1st, they normally have all the descriptions with their products

Joy provides "a deep fried sugary" taste and must be used sparingly and according to the recipe's guidelines.

These are HIC's notes on JOY
(apologies for the formatting)

funnel cake, fried bakery, cotton candy, vanilla

use sparingly 0.25-2%.

can be used as a sweetener, but more immediate, more like the powdered sugar in their Meringue, and longer lasting than plain EM.

it’s an extremely ‘yeasty’ flavour and needs long steep to get it to taste cakey

WW says he can’t use Joy anymore because it is too difficult to get right

If you're familiar with funnel cakes, imagine glazed funnel cakes. That's my best description of Joy - sweet, oil-fried, doughy flavour with vanilla. I taste zero difference in this fresh-mixed and steeped for 4 days.

I find it a very appealing standalone vape from 2% to 3%;

over 3% is cloying to me.

Vape Joy standalone before using it in your recipes.

Some of us find it delicious; some find it quite unpleasant and yeasty like beer; I have not yet found an explanation or solution, but some who do not like it standalone still enjoy it in certain recipes.

You'll immediately recognize the cotton candy flavour as part of Joy. But FA's is a big improvement over plain ethyl maltol. The more you vape it, the more impressive it gets. By adding the fried-sweet-bakery flavour (like funnel cakes) and a little super-sweet vanilla,

FA has made this into a very appealing standalone vape. 3% in max-VG is sweet awesomeness; 2% is danged good; over 3% is cloying to me.

Most brands’ Cotton Candy flavours fade in sweetness at the end of an exhale or include a fake-chemical flavour right at the end. FA fixed all that in their version, so it's sweet from the moment vapour hits your tongue all the way through the end of an exhale. This cotton candy is delicious all by itself, not just made to be a sweetener. Of course, that's how I'll try it next, as a sweetener. I expect Joy will show up as in ingredient in LOTS of sweet recipes. It's sure to be in mine.

Joy boosts spice flavours, especially when the spices are hidden, as in Catalan Cream, Apple Pie, and tobaccos. Joy can add glaze-like flavour to bakery recipes, especially when used with FA Vanilla Classic. My best results with Joy have mostly included Cookie and creamy vanilla flavours. I consider Joy the best bakery development in years for no-diketone vapers.

Everyone DIYer who likes sweet flavours needs this one. Vape it standalone, then add a touch of your favourite fruit (or spice - Cinnamon Ceylon is good with it), then see how it works in your recipes. Try it as a sweetener for strong fruit flavours and bakery recipes.

p.s. - I saw a description saying Joy has the flavours of apple, toffee, and popcorn. Nope! (and thank goodness) If you've had funnel cakes and had cotton candy, I think you'll agree with my description.

p.p.s - yes, it makes Cinnamon Ceylon taste sweet, and it emphasizes subtle spice flavours in a recipe

And this is what I have for TFA Dairy Milk

Testing steep Time/6 weeks % Used/ 4 PG/VG 50/50 Nic%/0

Mouthfeel - Light on the tongue and nose, not very dense for a cream flavouring 4 / 10.

Has a chalky and slightly dull mouth feel.

Throat Hit 2/10

Flavour Properties - A simple cream flavour with a light buttery, and a earthy note that comes off nutty and savoury.

Relatable Flavours - Lightly sweetened milk.

Position In The Recipe - My opinion is flavouring is going to be most useful as a accent for other creams, but could see it being used as a base note in cereal type recipes.

Off Flavours - A light chalky flavour.

Pairings - Creams fruits bakeries cereals Savoury flavourings such as tomato or coffee, spices such as cardamom and vanilla flavourings.

Hope these help

Notes - Not an entirely complex flavouring, but could see it being useful in many scenarios where you're not looking to add vanilla just a little milk and butter.

Last edited:

Are you looking at the right Reddit pages? This is the page you want. From that page:
Joy
Dairy/Milk

Hi guys, Just an update, So i attempted kiwana custard which was good and today i sampled the Cinapple fritter i made, quite impressed too HOWEVER i just think for some reason that my concentrates are diluted, reasons for this statement is ; Even though the recipes i followed are awesome the juices taste like they just NEED MORE and taste watered down. its either that those recipes are meant to be that way or my concentrates are diluted.
Not sure how to tackle this but i think its just gonna boil down to me spilling more cash n buying those concentrates from another supplier and attempt the recipes again?

Hi guys, Just an update, So i attempted kiwana custard which was good and today i sampled the Cinapple fritter i made, quite impressed too HOWEVER i just think for some reason that my concentrates are diluted, reasons for this statement is ; Even though the recipes i followed are awesome the juices taste like they just NEED MORE and taste watered down. its either that those recipes are meant to be that way or my concentrates are diluted.
Not sure how to tackle this but i think its just gonna boil down to me spilling more cash n buying those concentrates from another supplier and attempt the recipes again?
what PG:VG Ratio are you mixing at?
maybe let us know how much you actually mixed (mls) to how much the recipe said (it can be easy to miscalc, even if using an application)

@MrDeedz I recall you mentioned a while ago that your DIY mixes are 'Missing something' compared to Commercial juices, have you tried adding Super sweet to your mixes? I have a feeling that this might be what lacking for you?

I think you where vaping SNLV when you had the DIY meet at my place, and you liked that juice alot, but I know that has ALOT of sweetner in, so It might be that?

May I caution to NEVER mix 100ml unless you have made it before and 100% confident that this recipe is so good, that you will actually use 100ml.
I can recall only ever mixing 2 recipes as 100ml... The one is Cardinal and the other was Sugar Cookies and Cream, back in the day.

90% of my mixes are 30ml and most new recipes I do a 10 or 20ml. If the recipe is not to my liking, I can chuck or piff it. If you dont like the 100ml jobbie, you are tossing quite a bit of money down the drain.

I now mix recipes I like and know at 50 or 60mls and only Cardinal at 100ml.

The benifit of smaller bathes are that you can rotate more freely and not be "bound" to finish the iffie 100ml mediocre one...

May I caution to NEVER mix 100ml unless you have made it before and 100% confident that this recipe is so good, that you will actually use 100ml.
I can recall only ever mixing 2 recipes as 100ml... The one is Cardinal and the other was Sugar Cookies and Cream, back in the day.

90% of my mixes are 30ml and most new recipes I do a 10 or 20ml. If the recipe is not to my liking, I can chuck or piff it. If you dont like the 100ml jobbie, you are tossing quite a bit of money down the drain.

I now mix recipes I like and know at 50 or 60mls and only Cardinal at 100ml.

The benifit of smaller bathes are that you can rotate more freely and not be "bound" to finish the iffie 100ml mediocre one...
I agree 100%

If I have never mixed a juice before it gets mixed in a 10ml, unless it has such a low amount of a particular concentrate that it would be almost impossible to get the scale to register accurately - then I will maybe do 15ml or 20ml.

After I have tried the initial 10ml and decided I like it, I will mix up a 30ml to be sure.

If I still like it after the 30ml, then I will either continue mixing in 30ml qty's or, if it is a juice that I absolutely love and know I could vape all day for days on on end, I'll smash a 50ml of it.

@MrDeedz I recall you mentioned a while ago that your DIY mixes are 'Missing something' compared to Commercial juices, have you tried adding Super sweet to your mixes? I have a feeling that this might be what lacking for you?

I think you where vaping SNLV when you had the DIY meet at my place, and you liked that juice alot, but I know that has ALOT of sweetner in, so It might be that?
Thanks @Dietz you dead right . So which concentrate is the best to purchase? theres a few, super sweet / sucraclose or/ sweetener/ which brand as well

I agree 100%

If I have never mixed a juice before it gets mixed in a 10ml, unless it has such a low amount of a particular concentrate that it would be almost impossible to get the scale to register accurately - then I will maybe do 15ml or 20ml.

After I have tried the initial 10ml and decided I like it, I will mix up a 30ml to be sure.

If I still like it after the 30ml, then I will either continue mixing in 30ml qty's or, if it is a juice that I absolutely love and know I could vape all day for days on on end, I'll smash a 50ml of it.
I make 100Ml's based on my confidence/trust in my fellow DIY'ers LOL. from that 100ML i give 60 Mls to 3 fellow buds to sample, I dont have the time/capacity/patience to make 10mls at a time and steep it for a month to find out its crap, Another reason why I make 100mls is I dont have a huge range of Concentrates like you guys so I research for recipes on ecig, i then purchase per recipe. make a 100Mls and steep for 6 weeks,
But all this doesnt answer my Question guys. Why would it taste a bit watered down to me? How do i increase percentages correctly? for example if a certain recipe has :
2% Fuji Apple and 1.5% custard can I add 4% Fuji and 3% custard, Does that balance everything correctly or am i on the wrong thought plan

But all this doesnt answer my Question guys. Why would it taste a bit watered down to me? How do i increase percentages correctly? for example if a certain recipe has :
2% Fuji Apple and 1.5% custard can I add 4% Fuji and 3% custard, Does that balance everything correctly or am i on the wrong thought plan

Alas, there is not a straightforward answer here... This comes with experience and time...

You cannot simply double a recipe's ratios as it can have horrendous consequences.

If you want to go this route, start SMALL, ie add 0.5% per flavour and adjust form there...

Most (wagering a guess.. 90%) of commercial juices have sucralose in them. That is most likely why you experience more a more "vibrant" flavour from them. I doubt it's the flavour percentages, unless you're vaping it MTL.

DIY is also different from commercial juice. I got a bottle of highly-rated imported juice last year. I can see why it's popular but it's just too rich and sweet for me. I can take about six drags and then I've had enough of it. A commercial mixer I know did a clone which dials the original (especially the sweetness) back quite a bit. I killed 2x 30ml of it, chain-vaping it until it was done. It was delicious and I've done another 50ml now. But for someone who is used to the OG, it would probably be an understated flavour. That's precisely what I like about it.

For anybody switching from commercial to DIY, I would take several months to acclimatise your palate to it. Our tastes change and quite quickly too. If you have three spoons of sugar in your coffee and cut down to one, it will taste bitter and gross initially. But persist and your palate adjusts. Then, when you go back to three spoons six weeks later, what once felt normal will feel like you are drinking syrup.

This is also why I avoid the Malaysian vibe of one strong fruit buffed by 3% Cap Super Sweet and 5% WS-23. When you bombard your palate to that extent, you need to add more and more sweetening and cooling to get the same effect. Eventually, unless the flavour is hitting you with sledgehammer intensity, it won't even register at all. I go the other way. I like to be searching for the most subtle nuances of the flavour. In DIY, less is more.

I got a bottle of highly-rated imported juice last year. I can see why it's popular but it's just too rich and sweet for me. I can take about six drags and then I've had enough of it. A commercial mixer I know did a clone which dials the original (especially the sweetness) back quite a bit. I killed 2x 30ml of it, chain-vaping it until it was done. It was delicious and I've done another 50ml now.
Now we need that recipe @RichJB?

Just adding these 2 which I will be mixing next week to my thread so i have a record of the recipe at hand. Will be doing PYCHEE as well.

Perfect Melons.JPG

Awesome 4Some.JPG

@Rude Rudi - I want to add some CAP Super sweet to the PYCHEE when I make it tomorrow. What % you suggest? if your recipe is sweet already then maybe I shouldn't add any?
The same applies to Perfect melons @Andre . What you suggest bud

Back