ESG Skyline RTA

That looks great @Oupa!!

Anyone have any wicking tips for the Skyline? It works well for the first tank or so and then dry hit city:(, I've wicked with Vapers Choice, Native Wicks Platinum Blend and Cotton Bacon V2, bow tie method with cutting a 3rd off the top, combing the cotton till I can't comb anymore, wicks cut to the outer o ring of the deck, wicks cut to the inner o ring below the juice flow ports, so short that it barely just covers the juice ports and not till the bottom of the well, initially thought my build was too hot, so I changed to a 2 x 29ga fused with 38ga, same issue, tried removing a wrap and spacing the coil, it helped a little but then on the second tank I'm back to square 1, tried various heights for the coil to see if it'll make a difference but still nothing, I mainly use 70/30 juices. Thought maybe the tank doesn't like being chain vaped. Is there a possibility of an airlock issue here @Rob Fisher? It's a very noisy draw and the vape seems somewhat dry. Anything over 25 watts and my cotton gets burnt to where when I remove it it comes out in 2 separate parts

Anyone have any wicking tips for the Skyline? It works well for the first tank or so and then dry hit city:(, I've wicked with Vapers Choice, Native Wicks Platinum Blend and Cotton Bacon V2, bow tie method with cutting a 3rd off the top, combing the cotton till I can't comb anymore, wicks cut to the outer o ring of the deck, wicks cut to the inner o ring below the juice flow ports, so short that it barely just covers the juice ports and not till the bottom of the well, initially thought my build was too hot, so I changed to a 2 x 29ga fused with 38ga, same issue, tried removing a wrap and spacing the coil, it helped a little but then on the second tank I'm back to square 1, tried various heights for the coil to see if it'll make a difference but still nothing, I mainly use 70/30 juices. Thought maybe the tank doesn't like being chain vaped. Is there a possibility of an airlock issue here @Rob Fisher? It's a very noisy draw and the vape seems somewhat dry. Anything over 25 watts and my cotton gets burnt to where when I remove it it comes out in 2 separate parts
I have my coil high up almost at the top of the posts.
Also i cut to the first o-ring and then thin out with a pick. About two thirds of the wick tail comes out and barely touches the base but it does cover the juice holes slightly.

Currently running 0.2 ohm 2x28 awg inner and 37 awg outer 2.5mm ID at 27.5W. (Vat so @Oupa :D )
I'll be rewicking sometime tomorrow so I can take pics if you like.

I also found the tank to be a little noisy but I decided not to pack the cotton too tight and that has worked out perfectly for me.

I get a wet vape even with long 10s plus draws and chain vaping that's just short of drinking the juice out the bottle...

I have my coil high up almost at the top of the posts.
Also i cut to the first o-ring and then thin out with a pick. About two thirds of the wick tail comes out and barely touches the base but it does cover the juice holes slightly.

Currently running 0.2 ohm 2x28 awg inner and 37 awg outer 2.5mm ID at 27.5W. (Vat so @Oupa :D )
I'll be rewicking sometime tomorrow so I can take pics if you like.

I also found the tank to be a little noisy but I decided not to pack the cotton too tight and that has worked out perfectly for me.

I get a wet vape even with long 10s plus draws and chain vaping that's just short of drinking the juice out the bottle...
I'd really appreciate that bro, I'm struggling with it, been rewicking 3 - 4 times a day to no avail. Almost at the point of selling it

I'd really appreciate that bro, I'm struggling with it, been rewicking 3 - 4 times a day to no avail. Almost at the point of selling it
Take some time. Took me about a week to get it where I wanted.

Also, the kayfun was very sensitive for me so I had prior experience. Let me explain.

In the kayfun the chamber is very small so you don't need high watts to get a decent vape. I'm used to firing most things at 30-50w and getting a decent vape.
On the kayfun firing at 20w with a plain 26awg wire will give you a bloody hot vape and a dry hit.

However that seems like a kak tank right?
The kayfun performed really well at 12 w with that build and I got the same vape as another atty at 40w.

What I'm trying to say is dial the watts lower as well and you will be suprised at how few watts the skyline needs to perform like other devices you are used to.
You might find at 18W the skyline does what you want while you expect to be firing at 30w.
I started the skyline at 15W and moved up as I got dry hits at 30w initially.

That being said I was firing the skyline at 35w yesterday with no issues.

Take some time. Took me about a week to get it where I wanted.

Also, the kayfun was very sensitive for me so I had prior experience. Let me explain.

In the kayfun the chamber is very small so you don't need high watts to get a decent vape. I'm used to firing most things at 30-50w and getting a decent vape.
On the kayfun firing at 20w with a plain 26awg wire will give you a bloody hot vape and a dry hit.

However that seems like a kak tank right?
The kayfun performed really well at 12 w with that build and I got the same vape as another atty at 40w.

What I'm trying to say is dial the watts lower as well and you will be suprised at how few watts the skyline needs to perform like other devices you are used to.
You might find at 18W the skyline does what you want while you expect to be firing at 30w.
I started the skyline at 15W and moved up as I got dry hits at 30w initially.

That being said I was firing the skyline at 35w yesterday with no issues.
I get that and I really want the Skyline to be my "Holy Grail" of tanks, I'm used to about 60w on a dual coil and about 40w on a single coil deck. That first tank gives me good flavor at 25-30w but after that on a 0.46ohm build 25w starts giving me dry hits

I get that and I really want the Skyline to be my "Holy Grail" of tanks, I'm used to about 60w on a dual coil and about 40w on a single coil deck. That first tank gives me good flavor at 25-30w but after that on a 0.46ohm build 25w starts giving me dry hits
Will post pics tomorrow in the hope that it helps!

About two thirds of the wick tail comes out and barely touches the base but it does cover the juice holes slightly

This is how I do mine. Put the wick in, cut to length. Bowtie it. Cut off the top 2/3 of the bowtie and gently place the cotton on the juice holes as @Christos said.

This is how I do mine. Put the wick in, cut to length. Bowtie it. Cut off the top 2/3 of the bowtie and gently place the cotton on the juice holes as @Christos said.

I use the same method but I cut out half he wick on the bow tie and then comb and fluff. Then tuck just covering the juice hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. So I'm using @smilelykumeenit custom coils. These are 3x flatwire inside. (Not sure of the spec) and 40 AWG alien clapton outer.
2.5mm ID coming in at 0.26 ohms.

Firstly install coil high up. (Works for me).
20170616_200949.jpg 20170616_201118.jpg
Secondly insert cotton.
20170616_201352.jpg 20170616_201358.jpg
Thirdly pull out excess wick with pick.
Pick included in pic to see more or less how much comes out!
20170616_201444.jpg
Fourthly, tuck and prime!
20170616_201524.jpg 20170616_201535.jpg 20170616_201844.jpg
Currently on 38W with 8 second draws and flavour galore!

Coils are amazing and they do make the skyline flavour more intense!
Wet vape indeed. Currently running 2 different flavours in the skyline and billet box.
Decided to try fibre freaks in the billet box with @method1's chocolate whip and I'm actually impressed that the FF is performing just as well as cotton bacon.

Skyline has cotton bacon.
While I'm typing I've gone down to 30w and happy as the juice is a fruit loops and the lemon is more prominent at a lower wattage.

I usually rewick at around tank 3 or 4 as I can start to taste a flavour drop bit no dry hits on my side.

Edit: the coils are framed staple alien: 4 ply 0.4mm n80 ribbon, 30g frames, 40g alien.

Last edited:
Jeepers @Christos that was a great post!!

This pic is for you

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1497638326.169741.jpg

And why not - a little Sunset I took a few days ago. Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1497638380.153000.jpg

@Christos I did it exactly as you did, here are some pics.
3x29ga aliened with 38ga, 6 wraps, 2.5mm ID reading at 0.38ohmIMG_20170617_004507.jpg Put my cotton through and trimmed it till the o ring on the baseIMG_20170617_004734.jpgused a metal pick to comb the cotton out, you can see how much I combed itIMG_20170617_005131.jpg Cut all the fuzzies off till the o ring againIMG_20170617_005230.jpg
Tucked the tails gently and I mean so gently that it's not at all compressed and still very fluffyIMG_20170617_005537.jpg

The first few drags are great but once the juice that I primed with is done with, it starts getting dry, I can taste I'm very close to a dry hit even though I see bubbles making their way up the tank

The first few drags are great but once the juice that I primed with is done with, it starts getting dry, I can taste I'm very close to a dry hit even though I see bubbles making their way up the tank

Which glass are you using? I find with the 2ml glass, the thickness of the glass doesn't allow the juice to reach the wicks fast enough

Which glass are you using? I find with the 2ml glass, the thickness of the glass doesn't allow the juice to reach the wicks fast enough

I'm using the 4ml polished ultem so I don't think it's that.

@Christos I did it exactly as you did, here are some pics.
3x29ga aliened with 38ga, 6 wraps, 2.5mm ID reading at 0.38ohmView attachment 98346 Put my cotton through and trimmed it till the o ring on the baseView attachment 98347used a metal pick to comb the cotton out, you can see how much I combed itView attachment 98348 Cut all the fuzzies off till the o ring againView attachment 98349
Tucked the tails gently and I mean so gently that it's not at all compressed and still very fluffyView attachment 98351
Try one less wrap @Moey_Ismail

Back