Is local lekker?

Rude Rudi

Vaping Addict
LV

Awards
Hi guys

After seeing this thread on local concentrate suppliers =http://www.ecigssa.co.za/list-of-vendors.t26496/ I was wondering if local is lekker?

We (South Africans) have this "thing" that the best comes from abroad but how does the local concentrates stand up to the international brands? I've been using CAP and TFA, etc. exclusively but if I can get decent local flavours at R20 vs R50 for CAP, BARGAIN!!!

Can anyone comment on the local flavor concentrates available from the local manufacturers which I have shortlisted =
http://piratesgrog.co.za
http://clyrolinx.co.za/shop/flavour-selector/
http://www.vapourmountain.co.za/product-category/accessories/diy/flavours/

Am I missing someone?

I don't want to waste my money on an inferior product for the sake of it if you know what I mean?

Please give honest opinions - I'm leaning towards Pirates Grog but open to any suggestions...

Clyrolinx goes have a couple of good flavor. I haven't tried that many but the toffee and butterscotch is good.

There is also: http://www.vapeowave.co.za/index.ph...-ejuices/vapeowave-concentrated-flavours.html

The problem with many flavourings is that you can't compare price, you have to compare value. Which gives better value, a flavourant that costs R25-R35 for 10ml and requires 15% added to your juice, or the equivalent Flavour Art flavour that costs R40 for 10ml but only requires 3%?

I see that Clyrolinx recommend 3% average which is great because at least you have a ballpark. There is a spreadsheet with TFA flavour recommendations and FA is also known to be in the 2-4% range. With other flavours - both local and imported - I often have no idea where to begin. I wish flavour manufacturers would give an idea. Yes, taste is subjective. But even if they only gave us their subjective opinion, at least it's a starting point.

Your problem is this. With the branded international concentrates you have thousands of recipes to chose from, with ratings and discussions and recommendations as to percentages (single flavour and in mixes) to use. Easy peasy, but more expensive. With the local concentrates there are not many recipes and information around. @GregF has posted a few with Clyrolinx concentrates. So you have to experiment a lot. Not so easy peasy, but less expensive in the long run. The choice is yours.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree but flavour (quality) plays a major role.. We all (generalising for effect!) know what CAP Vanilla Custard tastes like - it is full, creamy, sweet, etc, etc - Is the local equivalent flat and bland or is it a masterpiece?

Can I use the Pirates Grog Custard instead of the Cap Vanilla Custard and will it be comparable?

I guess there is only one way to fine out... order some and see/taste?

Hence my request here - I want the guys who have use the local concentrates to comment on their findings - be it good, bad or whatever = just give us some guideline so the we can support the local manufacturers.

If their products are good, we can all benefit... We get cheaper, local flavours - they make more bucks... Happy days!

Last edited:
Your problem is this. With the branded international concentrates you have thousands of recipes to chose from, with ratings and discussions and recommendations as to percentages (single flavour and in mixes) to use. Easy peasy, but more expensive. With the local concentrates there are not many recipes and information around. @GregF has posted a few with Clyrolinx concentrates. So you have to experiment a lot. Not so easy peasy, but less expensive in the short run. The choice is yours.

I honestly worry that it would be more expensive, sure the concentrates are cheaper BUT you have no point of reference on the flavors. You will need to do a hell of a lot more testing and using the product to understand the notes in the flavor. You might use all the product before you get anywhere.

You also run more of a risk of getting an awful flavor (don't mean it as offense to the local guys, but even the well known international guys have released some shockers)

Well, we can always pull together and start with local concentrates and write reviews on it. Building a database with recipes. It will be a challenge but not impossible. There is obviously risks even with international vendors. But supporting the local guys where the price is right seems like a good idea.

Ill definitely assist where I can, and pick up some concentrates and see how it turns out. Just dont feel up to the task alone.

Well, we can always pull together and start with local concentrates and write reviews on it. Building a database with recipes. It will be a challenge but not impossible. There is obviously risks even with international vendors. But supporting the local guys where the price is right seems like a good idea.

Ill definitely assist where I can, and pick up some concentrates and see how it turns out. Just dont feel up to the task alone.

I agree and really like this Idea, Ill pick up a few concentrates month end too.
We can build a distinctly 'local' flavour

Sounds like a plan! Not sure how to do this - perhaps post findings on this thread or start a new one?

I'll start with a couple from each vendor and post findings...

The other thing is that the known brands's concentrates come under a lot of scrutiny and we "generally" know what goes into making them. We have no idea what anyone else uses in their flavoring. Not that I personally care much for the whole Diketone vs non diketone debate, but that's just me. I would kinda like to have an idea of what goes into making the flavors though. Obviously we cannot ask them to tell us what their processes are and what chemicals they use, but it would be some, peace of mind if nothing else, if we knew all the chemicals are relatively safe to inhale.
Like vapeowave has a long description of their flavors, what's in it and the chemical compound but on piratesgrog I can find no further info.

Perhaps we should start an online excel sheet once we have compiled a few reviews, a tab for every flavor or some such where guys can put their reviews/taste tests/notes on it.

safety data sheets would be available for most. now as most are rebottled from a larger flavour house most vendors will crop the data sheet to avoid letting the ecact flavour house be known to all. some people may not be happy with that others will, so some form of vetting will be available.
i have been slowly testing a few of them and making notes, several i believe are all comming from the same source. my notes are far behind where they should be on these, but when i eventually do get time to move them on i dont mind sharing, but please i wont share notes that are incomplete or possibly flawed as they could harm someone unnecessarily. but if a group work together and break the workload into chunks its not actually such a mammoth task for a few industrialist indeviduals with time on their hands.

As long as we keep it in a nice and tidy format. I would suggest some coordination with picking concentrates, so we cover a broader range. Maybe start with a single company and take it feom t

Then simple steps:
1) Mix it in single format vary pg/vg ratios and temps/power.
2) Run some mixes (local is preferred, but we can obviously mix it up a lil)
3) Send notes to central, to compile and update the list

well I will offer to set up the sheet and be a central contact. Cant contribute too much towards diy knowledge but have time

Sent from Mars

I agree (mostly) with what @Andre said earlier.
In my short DIY "career" to date I can state the following.

Yes Clyrolinx is cheaper when you buy the concentrate, but to find a juice/taste/percentage you like takes a lot of experimenting, so initially more expensive but in the end cheaper. If you stick with that one that you have just found.

I have not been in this long enough to compare one brand with the other. I do in fact have every one of the Clyrolinx concentrates but do not have another brand to compare it with. So for me to tell you this is better than that or visa versa would be a lie.

I am tobacco fan and my son is the fruity one......ok ok you know what I mean.....
Finding something for him has been a challenge but a hell of lot easier than finding something for myself using only Clyrolinx.

I have started with a collection of other "known" brands and I would like to make two seperate juices following the same recipe using the different brands to compare taste. This is high on my todo list.

Yes it is cheaper if you want to fart around and play with a whole lot of concentrates trying different things.
There are a few things I have tried which I would not do with a more expensive brand.

How much is "cheaper" anyway.
Clyrolinx - R20 for 5ml.
Black Vapour - R40 for 10ml
Clyrolinx - R55 for 20ml
Black Vapour - R80 for 20ml
So if you buy 5ml then it is about the same price, depending on concentrate etc. Buy bulk and you will save.

I am not unhappy with Clyrolinx, and as an "apprentice" I think/presume/guess I have had a fair amount of success, especially with nothing to guide me or any reference, which you buggers are looking for here :).
Hopefully this thread will grow and we can all learn more.

I can tell you this though that you will use less Clyrolinx than TFA. If I put in what some TFA recipes asks for then all I taste is chemicals. Generally about half is a good starting point. FA more like 1:1 or less Clyrolinx.

I will probably have more to say on this but for now.....
My two cents, we live and learn

I agree (mostly) with what @Andre said earlier.
In my short DIY "career" to date I can state the following.

Yes Clyrolinx is cheaper when you buy the concentrate, but to find a juice/taste/percentage you like takes a lot of experimenting, so initially more expensive but in the end cheaper. If you stick with that one that you have just found.

I have not been in this long enough to compare one brand with the other. I do in fact have every one of the Clyrolinx concentrates but do not have another brand to compare it with. So for me to tell you this is better than that or visa versa would be a lie.

I am tobacco fan and my son is the fruity one......ok ok you know what I mean.....
Finding something for him has been a challenge but a hell of lot easier than finding something for myself using only Clyrolinx.

I have started with a collection of other "known" brands and I would like to make two seperate juices following the same recipe using the different brands to compare taste. This is high on my todo list.

Yes it is cheaper if you want to fart around and play with a whole lot of concentrates trying different things.
There are a few things I have tried which I would not do with a more expensive brand.

How much is "cheaper" anyway.
Clyrolinx - R20 for 5ml.
Black Vapour - R40 for 10ml
Clyrolinx - R55 for 20ml
Black Vapour - R80 for 20ml
So if you buy 5ml then it is about the same price, depending on concentrate etc. Buy bulk and you will save.

I am not unhappy with Clyrolinx, and as an "apprentice" I think/presume/guess I have had a fair amount of success, especially with nothing to guide me or any reference, which you buggers are looking for here :).
Hopefully this thread will grow and we can all learn more.

I can tell you this though that you will use less Clyrolinx than TFA. If I put in what some TFA recipes asks for then all I taste is chemicals. Generally about half is a good starting point. FA more like 1:1 or less Clyrolinx.

I will probably have more to say on this but for now.....
My two cents, we live and learn
This is exactly the type of experiments we need. Not complex recipes, but single flavor compounds, compounded from community perspective. You saying half of TFA is a good starting point already for the initial tests. It will be more expensive initially but has the potential to get cheaper and we support local business. A win win in the end. On a personal level I don't have the money or time to do them all, but split across a community we can have results much cheaper.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree but flavour (quality) plays a major role.. We all (generalising for effect!) know what CAP Vanilla Custard tastes like - it is full, creamy, sweet, etc, etc - Is the local equivalent flat and bland or is it a masterpiece?

Can I use the Pirates Grog Custard instead of the Cap Vanilla Custard and will it be comparable?

I guess there is only one way to fine out... order some and see/taste? You have answered your own question correctly IMO.

Hence my request here - I want the guys who have use the local concentrates to comment on their findings - be it good, bad or whatever = just give us some guideline so the we can support the local manufacturers.

If their products are good, we can all benefit... We get cheaper, local flavours - they make more bucks... Happy days!

The bottom line in DIY is only you can determine what you like and don't like, and what you like the best. The opinion of anyone else is based on their tastes and DIY experiences long or short, not your tastes. That holds true even when someone is comparing different brands of concentrates that by name may appear to be a similar flavor. The perfect vape for anyone is earned by them doing the comparisons themselves. That's what I have done for almost 3.5 years, why I don't use the recipes of others but have learned to make my own based on the experiences, both the wins and failures, why I have many perfect DIY vapes for MY personal tastes.

The bottom line in DIY is only you can determine what you like and don't like, and what you like the best. The opinion of anyone else is based on their tastes and DIY experiences long or short, not your tastes. That holds true even when someone is comparing different brands of concentrates that by name may appear to be a similar flavor. The perfect vape for anyone is earned by them doing the comparisons themselves. That's what I have done for almost 3.5 years, why I don't use the recipes of others but have learned to make my own based on the experiences, both the wins and failures, why I have many perfect DIY vapes for MY personal tastes.

That is true taste is so subjective but it would be nice to have a taste chart so to speak where people could give their own opinion on how they feel a certain concentrate tastes.
Some people might say they get the caramel but it has a burnt sugar after taste or words to that effect.
For me I would just say yes I like it or I don't. I don't have the flair or extravagance as some of these guys.

Can't speak for anyone else but I wouldn't be expecting HIC's Notes on these. Just a basic description of the flavour, whether it tastes reasonably authentic and a decent standalone % would be a massive aid to me in deciding what flavours to buy and whether the local variants are worthwhile.

From HIC's Notes, even just finding out that Condensed Milk isn't sweet but more like powdered milk is already a massive help because it gives a totally different idea of my preconception of what it would be like. I don't need to know that it has fruity vanilla notes on the exhale, my taste buds are too shot to pick that up anyway. But Condensed Milk that isn't sweet is important.

For what it is worth, I would also be willing to test some flavours.

I have been reading all the above posts with great interest. I’m all for “local is lekker” and have been trying to find local concentrates to use in my juices. Then Clyrolinx popped into the posts. Old hat to everyone except me out in the cold. Anyway thank you, thank you, thank you everyone it is exactly what I have been looking for. I don’t care if they don’t have an equivalent for every imported flavour. I can work around that.

Of great interest to me is that their concentrates are not “cut” by PG or VG. This way I think I could reproduce my mixes better. The calculator I use has a function to accommodate “Flavor 0 PG/VG” so I no longer have to laboriously enter the SG of every flavour I use in a mix.

The sad thing is that I have 28 assorted and expensive flavours in hand, mostly TFA.

Another local supplier that carries concentrates is Creative flavors, but they don’t cater for the vaping market yet.

i know personally i prefer to use the big import brands as they are the most used world-wide and there-fore "safer" well atleast no one has died from them yet. lol i would really like it first resellers could provide the orginal brand so one can research it and therefore feel more confident in the product.
no point saving a little bit of money if you end up some health issue from pro-longed use of a cheap concentrate.
also i was going through some of the site mentioned above and im seeing percentages as high as 18% and those ones being tobacco ones which personally i feel thats insanely high. most of the tobaccos i use are max 5% so either they are really weak or dilution is happening.

Back